Analytical / Assessment Skills
Module 1.1: 5-Minute Introduction
In this module we provide background on the competency as well as context and information about our learning activities via a video podcast (see below). We also provide a context for you to Learn more about the competency and to start a conversation, so please Comment on what you have learned and Interact with others who have commented.
Analytical and Assessment Skills focus on identifying and understanding data, turning data into information for action, assessing needs and assets to address community health needs, developing community health assessments, and using evidence for decision making.
Since evidence-based research is at the core of public health, it’s critical to understand and be able to gather and work with data.
Being able to define a health problem within a population, identify your data needs, and gather data accurately and ethically crosses all the tiers of this domain. Tier 1 (front line/entry-level) staffers should be able to select valid and reliable data and recognize where there are gaps in that data. Tier 2 (program management/supervisory) staffers should be able to go a step further to analyze and interpret data and Tier 3 (senior management/executive-level) staffers should be able to evaluate data, identify trends within it, and then (most importantly) integrate those finding into organizational plans and operations. Finally, using evidence to make decisions cuts across all the tiers.
So what subject areas should a person interested in evaluating and improving their skills within this domain study?
For starters, we suggest Sources of Public Health Data, Data Collection Instruments and Methods, and Public Health Applications of Data. You also will want to make sure you understand Data Integrity and how to identify and address Data Gaps.
In addition, you can explore the resourses below to learn more about the specific competencies in this domain.
Comment on the Presentation...
You can share your perspective on this competency with others in the field by entering your comments here. Tell us how you have personally applied this competency in your daily work, ask questions about the competency, or suggest additional trainings that can be used by others to support learning in this competency.
Click for Discussion Form
If you can't see/access the form above, please email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See What Others are Saying...
- As we receive comments, we add them to this page to begin a conversation. Check back often to see how the dialog progresses.
Tell us how you have used/integrated this competency into your daily work.
- Thanks for bringing back this type of learning program. I've wondered how the public health competencies are different or dovetail with the MCH competencies. I can't wait to learn a thing or two over the course of the year.
- I love the new site and graphic presentation. The Navigator always comes up with ways to make learning interesting and to pull people into learning. You make learning fun!
- I've registered for this and look forward to getting the weekly emails. I missed the last program, so am eager to join this from the beginning.
- Analytical and Assessment are topics that cover almost everything we do in MCH.
Starting here, other competencies flow. Good place to begin learning. I plan on submitting questions this month for your Q&A webinar. And we'll see what questions I have that get answered before then...