Welcome to the MCH Navigator's 5-Minute MCH! As busy Title V professionals, we recognize the value of time and the importance of receiving quality, tailored information and resources quickly. With that in mind, we have developed a program that utilizes short bursts of microlearning to improve your knowledge and skills of the 12 MCH Leadership Competencies.
This fast-paced program combines learning opportunities with implementation strategies to provide:
- Short, focused learning modules and practice ideas to fit into busy schedules.
- The ability to utilize the online Self-Assessment to further refine learning needs.
- A paced schedule to reinforce learning over time.
Getting started is easy. (1) Learn more with our Brochure. (2) Access modules at left or through the Module Menu. (3) Provide Feedback.
How Does 5-Minute MCH Work?
We address the 12 MCH Leadership Competencies with an easy-to-follow modular format designed to increase your knowledge and skills through 5-minute intensive learning sessions available through this web portal:
- In module 1 of each competency, you will learn about a new competency through a 5-minute video podcast. You will learn what knowledge and skill sets each competency contains and how they are important for your daily work. You will also be linked to the MCH Navigator's online self-assessment to further identify your learning needs.
- In module 2 of each competency, you will receive 5 highly focused learning opportunities for that competency. You may take one or all of the trainings to sharpen your knowledge and skills. You can share your learning experiences online with others who have taken the same trainings.
- In module 3 of each competency, you will receive 5 implementation strategies to put knowledge to practice. You can share your experiences implementing the strategies in your workplace on the 5-Minute Portal.
- In module 4 of each competency, you will hear a 5-minute presentation from an expert in the field. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and dialogue with other health professionals in a 10-minute follow-up to the speaker. Now you are on your way to becoming an expert!
What Are the Benefits of 5-Minute MCH?
Learning in 5-minute intervals to strengthen your MCH knowledge and skills is just the first step to better serving children, women, and families. Highlights of this program include:
- Make Learning Fun, Quick, and Easy. Review competencies in a fast, but structured 5-minute model that takes little time to complete, motivates your sense of learning, and provides critical training for your role as an MCH professional.
- Increase Knowledge and Skills. Combining the online self-assessment tool with 5-Minute MCH allows you to focus your learning in areas that you need to strengthen. You will learn real-life strategies to implement learning in your daily work.
- Learn as Part of a Group. As part of the MCH Navigator’s Learning Collaborative, you can interact with other professionals who have taken the program. This gives you the opportunity to share insights and ask questions to a group of fellow learners.
- Become an Expert. SHORT-TERM: Measure your pre- and post- understanding of each competency through the program. LONG-TERM: Use the online self-assessment to create a personalized learning plan for professional development across your career.
- Be Recognized for Your Learning. Use 5-Minute MCH and online self-assessment as part of your professional development activities, either individually or as a team-building activity with your co-workers or office.
Background of the 5-Minute MCH Program
The initial program was conducted from July 2015 through June 2016 as a means of providing continuous, short bursts of learning to encourage registrants into becoming more familiar with each competency and to learn more at their own pace, all while being engaged in a collaborative, synchronous environment with each other and experts in the field.
Over 1,500 learners registered for the program, which sent out emails every Monday during the year; these emails introduced each competency via a 5-minute video podcast, provides 5 online trainings to learn more, shares 5 implementation strategies to provide tools for putting the competency into practice, and host a summary webinar with a leading expert from the field to summarize what has been learned.
The 5-Minute MCH program has been designed to measure user knowledge and skills with every interaction. Learners are asked to take the section of the online self-assessment related to each month’s competency and/or a 2-question survey to measure baseline understanding. Feedback is gathered through email responses and collection of online comments via the website; qualitative responses are posted on the website to encourage ongoing conversation. At the end of each competency, learners are asked to take a 5-question survey to measure increased knowledge and skills; suggestions for how to improve the program are also solicited.
To date, staff have collected over 4,200 responses related to improved knowledge/skills and over 100 comments on the functionality of the program. Data show that there is an average increase in self-reported knowledge from an initial 3.3 (on a 5-point scale) to 4.6. Similarly, learner confidence in their level of skill has increased on average from 3.1 to 4.2. Feedback on the program itself has been highly positive (92% of participants agree or strongly agree that the format is appropriate for interactive learning). As one participant said of a recent webinar, “[this is a] great use of 15 minutes to rekindle and recharge about important issues in MCH.”
Based on the success of the initial program, the 5-Minute MCH has been redeveloped into an enduring learning resource that can be accessed and used in an ongoing capacity.