Date Developed: 07/30/2015. Source: National Center for Cultural Competence. Presenter(s): Diana Autin, Tawara D. Goode, Andy Imparato, Thomas Uno. Type: Webinar Archive. Level: Intermediate Advanced. Length: 90 minutes.
This "Web-based Learning and Reflection" forum is designed to share examples from organizations that have recognized their own limitations in promoting cultural diversity and advancing and sustaining cultural and linguistic competence within human services, or those within the systems in which they are involved, related to the lack of cultural diversity and marginal attention that is given to fostering cultural and linguistic competence.
• Define a model of cultural competence including the role of policy in its
• Define linguistic competence (Goode & Jones framework).
• Cite legal mandates and requirements (policy directives) for language access for individuals with limited English proficiency.
• Describe three approaches to influence change in organizational and public policy that promote cultural diversity and advance and sustain cultural and linguistic competence.
• Reflect on the role of leadership in bringing about such change.