Date Developed: 2014. Source: North Carolina Institute for Public Health. Presenter(s): n.a.. Type: Online Course. Level: Introductory Intermediate. Length: Self-paced.
The "Public Health Ethics" training series is designed to promote the ethical practice of public health by teaching about the ethical principles of public health and by providing resources for creating an ethical climate in public health agencies and schools of public health. This 8 Module series includes the following topics:
• 1-Distinguishing Public Health Ethics from Medical Ethics
• 2-Values and Beliefs Inherent to a Public Health Perspective
• 3-The Public Health Code of Ethics
• 4-Law and Ethics in Public Health
• 5-Pandemic Influenza: A Justice Case Study
• 6-Decision-making in Public Health Ethics
• 7-Barriers to the Ethical Practice of Public Health
• 8-Responding to Unethical Events
Module 1--Distinguishing Public Health Ethics from Medical Ethics
• Describe the common practice settings from which medical ethics and public health ethics emerge.
• Explain “the tyranny of the majority”.
• Explain why the medical ethics principle of autonomy does not work as well in public health.
Module 2--Values and Beliefs Inherent to a Public Health Perspective
• Explain how a given value or belief from the list is important to public health.
Module 3--The Public Health Code of Ethics
• Describe how an aspirational code can guide an ethical discussion.
• Describe a situation where a given ethical principle applies in public health.
• Identify means of creating an ethical environment within public health organizations.
Module 4--Law and Ethics in Public Health
• Describe three of the several legal powers given to public health.
• Describe an ethical principle in public health that is not encoded in public health law.
• Describe how the exercise of any power is an ethical issue.
Module 5--Pandemic Influenza: A Justice Case Study
• Provide examples of how concepts of justice are applied to anticipated responses in an influenza pandemic.
Module 6--Decision-making in Public Health Ethics
• Describe how to recognize an ethical issue.
• Describe the elements of a fair process.
• Describe the steps of ethical decision-making in a group.
Module 7--Barriers to the Ethical Practice of Public Health
• Identify the facets of human nature and our social environment that are particularly relevant in leading to unethical behaviors in public health.
Module 8--Responding to Unethical Events
• Describe the range of possible responses to an event that is clearly unethical.
To access this course, you first need to create an account.