Communication is one of the core MCH Leadership Competencies (Competency 5). This Training Bundle familiarizes MCH professionals with concepts and practical skills for developing communication strategies. Learning opportunities include courses for written and verbal communication such as scientific, grant and translational writing along with public speaking and best practices for presenting data. This Bundle also explores the use of new technologies such as text messaging and social media to communicate health messages.
- Fundamentals: Concepts and Skills, including basic communication skills, the fundamentals of health communication such as different principles, styles and components, and the importance of considering health literacy. (MCH Leadership Competency 5K1).
- Scientific Writing, including preparing literature reviews, study abstracts and research manuscripts. (MCH Leadership Competencies 5S2 and 5S5).
- Grant Writing, including an introduction to grant writing and how to prepare a grant application package. (MCH Leadership Competencies 5S2 and 5S5).
- Translational Writing, skill areas addressed involve topics such as preparing policy briefs, fact sheets, and administrative memos. (MCH Leadership Competencies 5S2, 5S5, and 4S5).
- Public Speaking/Presentations, including for both scientific sessions and poster presentations, and risk communication. (MCH Leadership Competency 5S6).
- Social Marketing and Social Media, areas include social marketing basics, outreach to the media and stakeholders, planning webinars, using social media platforms, web meetings, website design and production, and utilizing sharesites. (MCH Leadership Competencies 4S5, 5S7, and 5S8).
For additional learning opportunities in topics not listed here, see the Search page to search by competency or keyword.