Module 7.2: 5 Learning Opportunities
This module builds on what we learned about MCH Leadership Competencies 1-6 by introducing you to 5 learning opportunities about Competency 7: Cultural Competency from the MCH Navigator catalog.
Click below to: Learn more with our 5 learning opportunities, Comment on this module's trainings, and Interact with other MCH professionals who are also taking the 5-Minute MCH program.
These 5 learning opportunities represent some of the most relevant and/or recent online trainings in the field and have been chosen based on their ease of access, focus, brevity, and their integration with principles necessary to advance the transformation of the MCH Block Grant. Trainings have been identified by MCH Navigator staff and further vetted by a group of MCH experts in the states and in academic settings.
Take one or all of the trainings to sharpen your knowledge and skills, either individually or with your colleagues as a team-building exercise.
- Diversity and Cultural Competency in Public Health Settings (Basic Level). Developed: n.a. Source: South Central Public Health Partnership. Presenter(s): Wm. Marty Martin, PsyD, MPH, MA, SPHR. Type: Video Webinar. Level: Introductory. Length: 20 minutes. Troubleshooting Tips for South Central Public Health Partnership Courses
- Exploring Implicit Bias in Interprofessional Education and Practice. Developed: 2015. Source: American Interprofessional Health Collaborative. Presenter(s): Dr. Margaret Stuber, Dr. Janice Sabin. Type: Webinar Archive. Level: Intermediate. Length: 60 minutes.
- Infusing Cultural and Linguistic Competence into Health Promotion Training. Developed: 2004. Source: National Center for Cultural Competence. Presenter(s): Suzanne Bronheim, PhD; Tawara Goode. Type: Video. Level: Introductory. Length: 90 minutes (this learning opportunity is broken down into multiple sections so the user can learn at their own speed).
- Strengthening Your MCH Workforce through Cultural Competency (Capacity Building Webinar #4). Developed: 2011. Source: National Association of County and City Health Officials, CityMatCH. Presenter(s): Darcel Scharff, PhD. Type: Webinar Archive. Level: Advanced. Length: 83 minutes.
- Bridging Gaps: The Vital Role of Cultural Competence in Healthcare. Developed: 2014. Source: School of Public Health, University of Albany, State University of New York. Presenter(s): Wilma Alvarado-Little, M.A., M.S.W. and James O’Barr, M.S.W. Type: Video. Level: Advanced. Length: 60 minutes.
If you experience any technical difficulties with any page in the 5-Minute MCH Program, please email us.
Comment on the Learning Opportunities...
Share your learning experiences with others here. Explain how you will use what you have learned, ask questions about the trainings, or suggest additional trainings.
Click for Discussion Form
If you can't see/access the form above, please email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See What Others are Saying...
- "It's hard to remember that cultural competency is a journey and not a destination. There is no point when we can say that we've checked off everything we need to know about it."
- "Bias - both conscious and unconscious - is a topic that we need to know more about. It affects our interactions with the populations we serve, often without us knowing it."