Module 4.2: 5 Learning Opportunities
This module builds on what we learned about MCH Leadership Competencies 1-3 by introducing you to 5 learning opportunities about Competency 4: Critical Thinking from the MCH Navigator catalog.
Click below to: Learn more with our 5 learning opportunities, Comment on this module's trainings, and Interact with other MCH professionals who are also taking the 5-Minute MCH program.
These 5 learning opportunities represent some of the most relevant and/or recent online trainings in the field and have been chosen based on their ease of access, focus, brevity, and their integration with principles necessary to advance the transformation of the MCH Block Grant. Trainings have been identified by MCH Navigator staff and further vetted by a group of MCH experts in the states and in academic settings.
Take one or all of the trainings to sharpen your knowledge and skills, either individually or with your colleagues as a team-building exercise.
- Critical Thinking YouTube Introduction. Date Developed: 2009. Source: QualiaSoup. Presenter: Nimi Hash. Type: YouTube video. Level: Introductory. Length: 5 minutes.
- Foundations of Critical Thinking. Date Developed: 2012. Source: CityMatCH. Presenter(s): Enoch Hale, PhD. Type: Webinar Archive. Level: Intermediate. Length: 35 minutes.
- Critical Thinking for Public Health Practice. Date Developed: 2006. Source: Upper Midwest Public Health Training Center. Type: Online Course. Level: Introductory. Length: 60 minutes. Special Instructions: To access this course, you first need to create an account.
- Understanding Evidence. Date Developed: 2013. Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Violence Prevention. Presenter(s): Unknown. Type: Interactive Modules. Level: Intermediate - Advanced. Length: Self-paced.
- Epidemiology Bundle. Date Updated: 2014. This MCH Navigator training bundle has been compiled by staff and reviewed by the full Expert Panel. It includes training tracks on the following subjects for a detailed review of the topic: Basic Courses for "Data Users," Advanced Courses for "Data Makers," and trainings on software to use in epidemiology. Source: MCH Navigator. Type: Series. Level: Introductory - Advanced. Length: Self-paced.
If you experience any technical difficulties with any page in the 5-Minute MCH Program, please email us.
Comment on the Learning Opportunities...
Share your learning experiences with others here. Explain how you will use what you have learned, ask questions about the trainings, or suggest additional trainings.
Click for Discussion Form
If you can't see/access the form above, please email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See What Others are Saying...
- "Hard to believe that you could summarize the complexities of critical thinking in a 5-minute YouTube video, but somehow it works. The other links provide that more in-depth view, which is necessary. All told, this is a very good review of the most etheral part of the work that we do."
- "I'm glad to see the focus on evidence and epidemiology. While neither is the be-all, end-all focus of MCH or public health, they are important skills and all too often get forgotten with all the other skills we have to have."
- "I'm looking forward to your speaker this week to bring the topic back around to maternal and child health. So easy to think of this in the abstract, but it will be good to see how we as MCH-ers can carry this out in our work."